Sunday, May 8, 2011

What Motivates my Writing

First off, it's been a while since I've blogged. I've been collecting ideas to write about, and eventually I'd like to do a monthly blog. I certainly have a lot of things to talk about. It's just one of those habit things I need to get back into.

I'll work on it. I promise.

Today, though, I wanted to answer a question. On twitter, @cazanne34 asked me: how do you keep motivated with your writing?
I had to sit there and think about it for a moment, because I'd never really thought about it before. I mean, I know why I write, but not what keeps me at it. Though thinking back on it, perhaps the two are linked.

The answer I gave, limited to 140 characters, was: I love what writing, is what it boils down to. Whether I eventually get published or not, I'll always write for my own enjoyment.

This is the complete truth, and it really does tie in with why I write. I write because I love stories, and I love reading. I enjoy taking that niggling of an idea and fleshing out into a novel length plot with action and romance. I really love watching characters grow and change in my own head as they mature through the story.

It's no secret that my Ultimate Goal is to see a book published. Working towards that goal keeps me pushing myself to become a better writer, learn what I can about the industry, and reach out to other writers to share their pool of knowledge. But it doesn't keep me writing. I was writing avidly for several years before I really started trying to find out what it'd take to get published.

What it all boils down to is my love of the written word. I love it the way some people love skiing, or sky diving, or sailing. If I make it as a professional, that's all well and good, but I'd do it anyway. Keeping that in mind makes it easier to focus on the writing itself, rather than worrying about what I'll do if this book doesn't land me an agent, or a publishing deal. I already know. I'll write.

As for making my daily word count goals, I bribe myself. "If I get 2,000 words written today, I can have a ." Silly, but on days when I don't want to write, it helps me keep my ass in the chair and put words on the page.

So what keeps you motivated with your writing?

2 comments:

  1. My characters won't let me sleep. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm dreadfully unmotivated when it comes to writing, but if I don't write for more than a few days the need starts creeping up on me. On the good days though, when writing seems a pleasure rather than a slog, I love spending time in another place, with other people. Ok, so they are all in my head, but somedays I prefer spending time with my imaginary characters than I do interacting with people from the real world!

    ReplyDelete