Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review: DragonFly in Amber

I loved the first Outlander book (by that name). I enjoyed this one, too, but I must admit, I set it aside when I was around half-way through. Nothing to do with the writing, really. You know it's going to be a sad one when you start the book, and I was in school trying to cope with depression. Sad book had not been a good thing to read.

DRAGONFLY IN AMBER was brilliant, though. It continues the story of Claire, a woman from the 1940's who travels through a stone circle in Scotland back to the 1700's, and the man she's forced to marry, Jamie Fraser.

Historical fiction isn't one of my favorite genres, I gotta admit. I respect anyone with the patience to do the research it'd take to create a cast and story like what Gabaldon has assembled for her books, and Gabaldon is a master of the craft. You love the characters, even the ones you really hate, and her recreation of the the time period transports you back with Claire.

If you haven't yet, go pick up OUTLANDER, the start of Claire and Jamie's story together. It's a fabulous read, even for those like me, that aren't really big history buffs.

3 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I am on her fourth or fifth book in this series and after 300 pages, I needed to put it down. Her books are so long and drawn out. I'm not sure if I will go back to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah. The third book is over a pages long. That longer than the entire Lord of the Rings Trilogy, including their apexics (at least the copy I have.) That's a heft book.

    Good reading, though, if you're in the mood for that kind of thing.

    ReplyDelete