Friday, July 30, 2010

Book Review: Silver Phoenix

Let me start by saying Silver Phoenix is a charming story. It's filled with exotic creatures and people. And demons. Set in a land similar to China, it's a unique YA novel. It could be that I've been reading too much YA urban fantasy, but I can honestly say I've never read a YA that's struck me as so fantastical.

Ai Ling is a young unmarried woman who sets off to find her father, gone missing during his trip to the Palace of Fragrant Dreams. (I love that name. It fills my head with flowering trees and ponds and streams with those delicate Asian bridges. Just from the name!) On the road, she meets Chen Yong, a young man in search of his birth parents, as well as demons, goddesses, monsters, dragons, laughter and tragedy. The imagery is vivid and compelling, creating places I've never even dreamed out here in the working world.

I'm very used to reading books with strong women protagonists, and Ai Ling certainly doesn't start that way. Even while her fears annoyed me, I admired her determination to push on anywayt. I'll admit that it was an interesting journey for me as a reader, watching Ai Ling go from timid mouse to bold phoenix. (Har har. Couldn't resist.)

This is a wonderful tale of finding strength and courage, and breaking out of social norms. I highly recommend Silver Phoenix to everyone, no matter their age. There's something in this one for everyone.

Sadly, I don't think you'll find this one in most book stores. So go online and order it.

Hi Cindy! *waves*

No comments:

Post a Comment