Thursday, March 18, 2010

The Three "R"s

There are three things I must do to remain happy. Being happy is one of those important keys to writing. I can chew out some really incredible stuff when I'm angry at someone, but to keep up the effort of writing every day, I have to be in a happy place. It's hard to write when I'm depressed, mostly because I don't want to do anything.

My three "R"s are pretty simple.

Reading. Writing. Raiding.

Ignore the fact that writing doesn't actually start with an "R." It's pronounced as one, and that worked in elementary school, so it works now.

The first two are pretty obvious. I enjoy reading. I like seeing all the wonderful things other authors create, and it motivates me as little else can. I want my stuff to be that good, to be that enjoyed by so many people. Got to write it first.

Writing is a little trickier. When I'm not in school, it's no problem chewing out two-thousand words a day, because it's not like I've got anything better to do anyway. Unfortunately classes, homework, and just being burned out take up a lot of my free time.

The third one? Raiding? Well. I am a gamer. I warned you in my little profile blip at the top of the page. There, over to the right.

See, I play World of Warcraft. I'm in a raiding guild on a little server, and I enjoy it very much. Mostly I enjoy the people I play with. My guildies are all kinds of interesting. Many of them read the same kind of books I do. Some of them don't, but read other stuff, and we get into very involved discussions (read arguments). WoW is, sadly enough, my main source of socializing. It helps that I can get together with a large group of friends on a near nightly basis without having to leave home. And I can multi-task.

The trick is balancing everything out. I tend to either read a lot, or write a lot. Strangely, the one thing that's a constant is the raiding. But, I have either 9 or 24 other people relying on me to show up and have fun doing something I love to do. It's a good incentive.

Now if I could find an incentive that'd get me to chew out 2,000 words a day, come hell or high water.

No comments:

Post a Comment